The Red Gym’s Class of 1973 Gallery is located on the second floor of the red brick Armory building next to the Memorial Union. Managed by the Multicultural Student Center, it offers approximately 100 feet of wall space, fitted with a picture rail eight feet above the floor. There are windows above the rail and movable track lighting on a suspended grid. The walls of the gallery are brick, and nothing is to be nailed or fastened directly to the walls. Artists are responsible for framing, hanging, maintaining, and tearing down their own shows. Artists are also responsible for all publicity associated with their shows.
- Once you have received confirmation that your show has been selected for exhibition, you must meet with an MSC Staff member before your show is hung. Please contact our office at 608- 262-4503, or email email@example.com.
- Priority is given to undergraduate student artists.
- All shows may not exceed 10% of the wall areas for fire safety reasons. If your show is fairly large, please submit the dimensions of the artwork with this application.
- If any of your artwork has been constructed using highly flammable materials (ie. Tissue paper, Styrofoam, etc.) please bring this to attention of the MSC staff. They will determine whether to contact the Fire Inspector for approval.
- Nothing may be nailed or fastened directly to the walls. Artists must be able to suspend all two-dimensional work from the picture rail.
- Confirm all show dates and opening dates with the MSC. The building hours change periodically. DO NOT mail invitations to a reception without confirming with the MSC that the building will be open!
- During the meeting with the MSC staff member, please allow time to become familiar with the track lighting. The lights are very heavy and are not user friendly.
- Please report any burned out bulbs to the MSC for replacement.
- There are two small benches in the gallery. If you choose to place the benches in the center of the gallery space (vs. against the wall), they must stay vertical to the elevator. If the benches are placed horizontally, it limits access for physically challenged/wheelchair visitors.
If you have any questions, please contact the MSC at 608-262-4503.
Red Gym building hours for this semester:
- Mon-Fri: 8am-12am (midnight)
- Sat & Sun 10am- 12am (midnight)
*These hours are subject to change based on holidays, session breaks, and special events*